7 DIY Tips to Decorate Your Home
We all love decorating our home, don’t we? After all, it takes a lot of time, effort, and hard work to build a home. But hiring an interior decorator can be expensive and not all of us can afford it. So what? Having a tight budget does not mean that you can’t make your home look good. There are so many ways that you can decorate your home on a budget.
We have brought 7 tips to help the DIYer in you while decorating your home:
- Go for Neutral Colours: You may be tempted to go for vibrant colours to make your house shine but we would advise you against it. Always choose neutral colours like white, beige, or grey that are easy to play with. Neutral colours also create a calming flow. You wouldn’t want to step into a home screaming a bright orange which will always clash with your wooden furniture. Choose contrasting elements instead. For example, paint a door a contrasting colour which goes with your walls. Colourful furnishing is also a good option if you want to make it pop. Not to forget, neutral colours will give you ample opportunities to redecorate.
- Balance Your Living Room: Most people make the mistake of messing up their living room. The living room is the first thing your guest will notice which is why it is of utmost importance when decorating your home. A rule of thumb? Always place your sofas and chairs so that they are talking to each other. The living room is the entertainment centre of a home which is should be inviting and conversations always work best when you are facing each other. So, instead of pushing all your furniture against the walls, arrange it in a U or H shape.
- Let the Sun In: Now that so many fancy lighting options are available in the market, nobody really pays attention to natural lighting. Frankly, letting in some sunlight is important for your health and the vibe of the home. Sitting in artificial lights on a bright sunny day can be off-putting. When you have a well-ventilated home, take advantage of it. Put on some lightweight curtains in light shades that won’t fade due to sunlight.
- Buy Some Good Rugs: Rugs and carpets have lost their charm over the years but believe us they can do a lot in making your home look good. A common way of rug arrangement is to place it under furniture feet. It will make your space look larger and more luxurious.
- Invest in Good Lighting: Nobody likes to walk into a dim poorly lit home. A lot of psychological energy comes from the environment you are in and when it is badly lit, it can be a turnoff. Always ensure that areas like the living room, bars, and lounge are well-lit. To make it artsy, add some accent lighting. They don’t do much for the lighting but they can definitely lift up the décor to a certain degree.
- Declutter: Living in a home, we tend to get used to the way it looks. We keep adding little pieces to the space which does not look overwhelming but may not be the case when asked to an outsider. You can either take the help of a friend or a professional organizer who can help you reduce the mess you have accumulated over the years.
- Create Illusions: Illusions are a great way to trick the mind. There are some foolproof ways that can help you. If your ceiling is small, then you can paint the walls white to make them look large. Also, hang your drapes higher than the windows to create the illusion of a taller ceiling. You can also try out printed curtains in vertical stripes that will elongate the walls. Another way to liven up your home is putting up at least one mirror in every room. Mirrors bounce back the light that comes in from the windows making it look bright and bigger. However, always make sure that mirrors are placed perpendicular to the window wall instead of opposite to it because then it might cause the mirrors to bounce the light right back out of the windows.
Here are some ways you can amp up your home without a professional decorator. So, what are you waiting for? Try these tricks and let your house do the talking for you the next time you have guests over!